REVIEW: Nailgun Massacre - Boned, Boxed and Buried

Nailgun Massacre - Boned, Boxed and Buried
Xtreem Music

You know, Gore-grind has really stole the aesthetic of Death Metal for me. Yes, I'm aware most refer to it as 'Death' because its speculated that the band Death is where the genre originated but I'm talking about the downtrodden angry and depraved bands that followed - stuff like Massacre, Morta Skuld, and Impaled. It was always the type of metal where you'd hear about your fellow man being torn to pieces; senselessly slaughtered. And I guess those topics were better presented when it came to Death Metal - especially since I could actually understand what was being said. Thankfully, bands like Nailgun Massacre bring the gore and mayhem back to its roots.

I'm not going to lie, Nailgun Massacre is almost comedic in its approach - maybe I'm just a sick individual but there seems to be a hint of dark comedy in these lyrics. Song titles, such as 'Where's the Head?' or 'Stinky Stench' just seem to help forward that notion. Honestly, I love it. It feels like for once I don't have to scroll through a lyric booklet to understand whats going on - and, with the sheer amount of grind my inbox has been subject to, its nice to experience something like that.

Regrettably, 'Boned, Boxed and Buried' doesn't really scream original. The band does know how to play, they put the songs together well and they fit comfortably within the masses of Death Metal bands you can find just about anywhere these days. But, I really feel like this band needed to do something to up the ante a little. The subject of gore can be diverse and extreme, not that Nailgun Massacre isn't, but I feel like the whole album could have been more then just good if I'd experience more intention when it came to the, accidental or not, darker comedic undertones.

Nailgun Massacre is like a C-Movie. There are enjoyable moments throughout but the overall product leaves something to be desired. Of course, in-between there is enough blood and guts to detract your attention from the problems at least for a little while.