REVIEW: The Whorehouse Massacre - Altar Of The Goat Skull VI

THE WHOREHOUSE MASSACRE - Altar Of The Goat Skull
Transcending Obscurity

I wasn't around when people were exchanging tapes, sadly. My transition from action figures and colorful cartoons into teenage curiosity, where most of my interests began, was at the peak of the Compact Disc's popularity. Most 'heavy' music at that time was neigh always Nu-Metal, the likes of Korn, Limp Bizkut, or P.O.D. However, I was lucky enough that, one fateful summer working at a Summer Camp, the sister of one of the counselors saw I was into Metal and handed me a CD-R full of some truly far-out bands. I'd not heard anything beyond the overly-produced messes and coming across bands like Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum, The Melvins, and such (remember, this was also before Youtube) was like discovering a new life-form. I'd say, it was the closest I ever got to experiencing something along the lines of the Tape-trade days. However, with The Whorehouse Massacre, I almost feel reminiscent of that first CD-R - experiencing something so different among the ever growing crowd.

Truth is, I'm not usually a huge fan of rawness in my music. I don't mind it sometimes so long as the entirety of the music doesn't get swallowed in a sea of caustic tin-box reverb. The Whorehouse Massacre isn't exactly guilty of this but there is undeniably a lot of rawness and amateurism to 'Altar Of The Goat Skull VI' - but, somehow, this just adds character to the whole experience. You see, whats even better then a overly-polished album that thousands are sunk into is a album in which the band takes a lot of personal and creative risks. Call it a lingering similarity but The Whorehouse Massacre's unnerving uniqueness and willingness to lay their creative style out is reminiscent of my all-time favorite band Celtic Frost (Or Hellhammer). In a lot of cases, this huge wall of sound and horror isn't exactly as dark or 'Blackened' as bands such as Old Witch  pull off but the creativity far outweighs that typical route. Much like the bands name 'Altar Of the Goat Skull VI' feels like a old, cheap, but endearing Grindhouse feature.

The album, of course, isn't made for those looking for a Grind or Core type of experience. I've said it before about other bands but the whole thing hits you like a bag of hammers, creative hammers. The Whorehouse Massacre puts up one of the most satisfying walls of deafening fuzz I've heard in a long time, I just love the Sludge tone they've pulled off here. No doubt, if this all sounds up your alley it'd be a shame for you not to pick it up or... download it, whatever you kids do these days.